Arizona Department of Corrections Fallen Employee Memorial
CRITERIA FOR INCLUSION AS OF MAY 12, 2016
The ADC Fallen Employee Committee will consider individual’s for inclusion in the Memorial if they MEET at least one of the following criteria:
- Line of Duty Death occurs when the employee is or was in good standing and any of the following are met:
- Actually at work and the death was caused by the actions of an inmate.
- Actually at work and the death is a direct result of the duties being performed (such as accidental or catastrophic) while inmates are being directly supervised by the deceased. Medical conditions resulting in death that are aggravated by the situation while supervising inmates will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Actually at work and the death is a direct result of the performance of their duties in the support of prison operations (accidental) even if not supervising inmates at the time.
- Going to or from work and the deceased is performing duties normally associated with and sanctioned by law enforcement officials.
- Military Death is considered a Line of Duty Death when the deceased is officially on an authorized long term leave status from the Arizona Department of Corrections and the person is in a combat situation actively defending the United States of America.
- Current or past employees who are not on duty but who are killed through the actions of an inmate/parolee that have been verified and confirmed to be caused by their current or past ADC employment.
INDIVIDUALS WILL NOT BE ADDED IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING OCCURS:
- Medical conditions resulting in death not aggravated by work circumstances.
- Performing any illegal functions at the time of death.
- Individuals under an active investigation that could result in termination of employment if findings are sustained.
- Suicidal actions of the deceased.